If food is medicine, then coconut oil is one food that you cannot live without. Coconut oil benefits are well-documented both in the natural world and in the medical world.
There are several different forms you find in the grocery stores. You even find it in WalMart and even club chains like Costco and Sams Club. Coconut oil may be purchased in cold-pressed, unrefined and refined. Organic cold-pressed coconut oil is the purest form of oil. This is cold-pressed, like it says, from coconuts. Unrefined coconut oil is extracted by a heating process. Finally, refined coconut oil goes a step beyond unrefined and strains out tiny pieces of coconut meat.
Coconut oil benefits
Coconut oil contains most of the best of the coconut meat in a coconut. This makes it a top candidate for good nutrition. It contains:
- High amounts of magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium.
- 5% of the recommended daily needs for folate.
- The only medium-chain fat there is, which means that it can fight cholesterol and thus, protect against heart disease.
- Evidence shows that coconut oil reduces seizures in people with epilepsy.
- Lauric acid, which can kill bacteria, fungi and viruses.
- Vitamins for your skin and hair, thus conditioning them both.
- Qualities to help you lose weight, increasing the body’s metabolic rate.
- Capric acid, which fights off yeast.
- Relief from inflammation.
- Healing properties for wounds and bruises.
- Acids to help dissolve kidney stones.
Other well-researched health benefits of coconut are that it can:
1) Improve calcium and magnesium absorption.
2) Helps prevent periodontal disease and tooth decay.
3) Balances the blood sugar.
4) Assists in intestinal health, particularly related to malabsorption issues.
5) Enhances the immune system.
6) Promotes thyroid function.
7) Provides protection against damaging UV rays from the sun.
8) Creates energy from the coconut oil fat, instead of being stored into body fat.
9) Kills yeast, including diaper rash.
10) Improves digestion and bowel function.